Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Feed Your Appetite for Bibingka

Bibingka. It's an extremely moist, spongy, sweet coconut rice cake usually baked on a banana leaf, sometimes with a salty egg in the middle, and served with shredded coconut.


I grew up with this cake. Almost every single family holiday or event included Bibingka. I remember a time when my mom was cracked out on baking these giant sponges of heaven every day for a week, and I was cracked out on eating them.

Steve asked if we had sugar. I told him we did. Then he suggested that we should have sugar cookies. Eh.. I didn't feel like making nor eating sugar cookies even though I could have been able to crack open the Star Wars cookie cutters that we purchased in May. Then I remembered that I had picked up a box of Mochiko, sweet rice flour, at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago and that we could make something delicious out of that. And so I did.
Bibingka Recipe

adapted from GroupRecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 1 Box (16 oz) Mochiko rice flour
  • 1 Cup White Granulated sugar
  • 1 Cup brown sugar (or another cup of white sugar)
  • 2 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick) Unsweetened butter (softened)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 Cup coconut milk
  • 1 Cup evaporated milk --> I had to substitute this for whipping cream
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract


Steps

  • Preheat oven to 350° F
  • Cream the butter and sugar together well

  • Mix eggs in one at a time

  • Mix in the rest of the ingredients

  • If you want to serve it in a banana leaf, cut banana leaf to fit pans (either two 9 inch round cake pans, or one 9x13 inch pan) and spread a small amount of oil on top of leaf. If you are not using banana leaves, grease or spray the pan with oil (Pam will do just fine).

  • Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown or tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment