Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

FYA for Fried Flat Chicken Breast and Opo Squash Noodles


This morning I was discussing with Steve my plans for tonight's dinner. I wanted to make squash stuffed with 100 different ingredients, bone marrow and toast, and a whole bunch of yummy ambitious things. Then Steve suggested that I should make something simple because simply prepared dishes can be even more delicious than the most extravagantly prepared... and it would mean we get to eat earlier ;)

After a whole work day of thinking of what can fulfill my appetite this evening I decided to take Steve's suggestion and made this simply made Fried Flat Chicken Breast and Opo Squash Noodles. Only two main ingredients!


Ingredient 1: Opo Squash

This is one squash I have never made before. I had to ask Steve what this squash he grabbed from the grocery store was. He called it an "Oobo" squash. The internet corrected us, it is actually Opo :P In tagalog the phrase "O Po" means "Yes Sir/Maam"...

While I was slicing the Opo, it texturally reminded me of a soft eggplant, especially with its white inner coloring. It would be a great substitute.



Ingredient 2: Chicken Breasts



I made a schnitzel-like chicken that was quick to prep and cook. I was very excited to finally use my new meat tenderizing hammer thing! .. instead of my canned goods...




The Recipes


Opo Noodles Recipe


Prep Time 5 Min


Cooking Time 20 Min


Ingredients


1 - Large Opo Squash
3 TBS - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp - Ground Oregano
2 Tsp - Garlic Powder



Directions



- Peel Squash an slice into noodle like strips
- Toss in squash and all ingredients in a baking dish
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes



Fried Flat Chicken Breast Recipe



Prep Time: 10 min



Cook Time: Varies

Ingredients



4 - chicken breasts
3 - Eggs
1/3 cup whipping cream or milk
4 cups - panko bread crumbs
1 TBS - Paprika
1 TBS - Garlic Powder
1 tsp - Ground Thyme
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Olive Oil for frying
Parmesan Cheese



Directions



- Beat eggs and whipping cream or milk together in a medium size bowl. Reserve.
- On a baking sheet, casserole dish, or plate combine panko bread crumbs, paprika, garlic powder, ground thyme, salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Filet chicken breasts in half so you have 8 pieces
- Pound flat with tenderizer hammer thing, or frying pan, or can good until about 1/8 of an inch thin or thinner.
- Soak chicken breasts in egg and milk mixture
- Then coat chicken in dry mixture
- Fry in pan filled with olive oil in medium high heat until golden brown





When plating grate meal with parmesan cheese.





3 comments:

  1. I agree with Steve, simple food cooked perfectly is the best. The squash you made looks very interesting, I've never seen it in my market. I wonder if it's grown in New England. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol for the comment :) They may have it in New England, but I'm not too sure. We found this one at a supermarket chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a chef and have worked at many restaurants. And have never seen this vegetable. But a Chinese friend grew them in his back yard and gave me one.
    Can't wait to try your recipe, looks great.

    ReplyDelete