Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Feed Your Appetite for Coconut Chicken and Ginger Rice



When I do non-recipe based cooking, I don't measure at all. I use a little bit of this and a little of that, until the flavors of each individual ingredient I randomly grab from my pantry finally marries into a magically delicious taste. Like today, I made Cocounut Chicken. I always make Coconut Chicken, but it's never the same dish twice. Sometimes I'll make thin and spicy, other times milder and creamier. Once in a while I'll use chicken breast, other time chicken drumsticks. And still, each time it is devoured. I think the two main ingredients, coconut milk and chicken is so flexible in taking what ever you add to it that it'll work no matter what. Unless you burn it ;P


For today's Coconut Chicken I used the following ingredients and steps (measurements of spices omitted):
2 lbs - Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Thighs (seasoned with pink salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder)

Peanut Oil

3 Cloves - Smashed Garlic

1 lb - White Potatoes (1 inch pieces)
1 lb - Red Potatoes (1 inch pieces)

3 - Carrots (1/2 inch slices)

1/4 C. - Peanuts

1 Can - Coconut Milk

1 Cup - Whipping Cream
1 Can - Chicken Broth

2 to 3 Handfuls - Spinach

- Heat 3 Tbs of peanut oil in large pot and throw in smashed garlic cloves until fragrant.

- Brown seasoned chicken thighs on one side. Add 3 tbs of peanut oil on non-browned side of chicken then flip to brown. Do not over cook.

- Stir in potatoes, carrots, and peanuts

- Stir in coconut milk, whipping cream, and chicken broth

- Bring to light boil and cover, stir occasionally until potatoes are fork tender

- Add Spinach, cover until wilted and stir.

- Simmer for 3 to five minutes
- Serve with Ginger Rice
- Reseason to taste, using the same seasonings used for the chicken

Ginger Rice was made with regular white rice, mixed with tumeric and ginger powder, while steaming.

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful, I wish I had a way to turn up the smell-o-meter on my computer. But I guess that would just make me even hungrier.

    ReplyDelete